Uniform Complaint Procedures and Williams Complaints
A Uniform Complaint Procedures (UCP) complaint is a written statement alleging discrimination, harassment, intimidation and/or bullying or a violation of a federal or state law or regulation, including noncompliance with laws relating to pupil fees (Assembly Bill 1575). A UCP complaint must be filed by way of the Uniform Complaint Procedures as written in the California Code of Regulations, Title 5, sections 4600-4687 and Education Code sections 234, 234.1, 234.2, 234.3, 234.5, 49010-49013.
Issues that may involve filing a complaint using the UCP fall under various state and federal programs that use categorical funds which include:
- Accommodations for Pregnant and Parenting Pupils
- Adult Education
- After School Education and Safety
- Agricultural Career Technical Education
- Career Technical and Technical Education and Career Technical and Technical Training Programs
- Child Care and Development Programs
- Compensatory Education
- Consolidated Categorical Aid Programs
- Course Periods without Educational Content
- Discrimination, harassment, intimidation, or bullying against any protected group as identified under sections 200 and 220 and Section 11135 of the Government Code, including any actual or perceived characteristic as set forth in Section 422.55 of the Penal Code, or on the basis of a person’s association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics, in any program or activity conducted by an educational institution, as defined in Section 210.3, that is funded directly by, or that receives or benefits from, any state financial assistance
- Educational and graduation requirements for pupils in foster care, pupils who are homeless, pupils from military families, pupils formerly in Juvenile Court now enrolled in a school district, pupils who are migratory, and pupils participating in a newcomer program
- Every Student Succeeds Act
- Local Control and Accountability Plans (LCAP)
- Migrant Education
- Physical Education Instructional Minutes
- Pupil Fees
- Reasonable Accommodations to a Lactating Pupil
- Regional Occupational Centers and Programs
- School Plans for Student Achievement
- Schoolsite Councils
- State Preschool
- State Preschool Health and Safety Issues in LEAs Exempt from Licensing
- And any other state or federal educational program the State Superintendent of Public Instruction (SSPI) or designee deems appropriate.
Williams Complaints, another type of UCP, addresses:
- Deficiencies related to instructional materials.
- Teacher vacancy or misassignments.
- Conditions of facilities that are not maintained in a clean or safe manner or in good repair.
Complaint procedures will follow the Uniform Complaint Guidelines.
Contact: Angela Baxter, Ed.D.
4034 Irving Place, Culver City, CA 90232
310-842-4220 Extension 4355