Culver City Unified School District

Skip to main content
Main Menu Toggle

Homeless Education

If you have any household items you would be willing to donate to a CCUSD homeless family that is moving into permanent housing, please click here and fill out the attached survey and submit it.  In advance, thank you for your generosity.
A homeless child is guaranteed enrollment in school by the federal McKinney Vento Act and California State law.
Please contact Veronica Montes, CCUSD Homeless Liaison, to set-up an appointment for immediate enrollment by calling (310) 842-4220 x. 4201 or x. 4291 or e-mailing
Under AB 1733, Californians experiencing homelessness, as defined further in the federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, are eligible to receive at no cost, a certified record of live birth or a state-issued photo identification card subject to several conditions. (Please download form below.)
Scholarship Information for Homeless Seniors & Recent Graduates
The National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth provides scholarship assistance, through the LeTendre Education Fund for Homeless Children, to students who are homeless or have experienced homelessness during their school attendance--and who have demonstrated average or higher than average achievement.
For more information, please contact Ms. Veronica Montes, CCUSD Homeless Liaison at (310) 842-4220 x. 4201 or x. 4237 or e-mail
Student Housing Questionnaire
If you are staying temporarily in the Culver City Unified School District attendance area, complete the SHQ by clicking the link at the bottom of the page and submit it to the CCUSD Homeless Liaison or deliver/mail it to: 4034 Irving Pl, Culver City, CA 90232.
Higher Education Helpline for Homeless Students
November 13, 2012
The National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth (NAEHCY) has announced the availability of a new service for the homeless education and higher education communities nationwide.
The NAEHCY Higher Education Helpline offers assistance, including but not limited, to:
  • Unaccompanied Homeless Youth who want to attend college but aren't sure what options are available to them to assist in paying for it.
  • Parents of students experiencing homelessness who wish to understand what supports may be available to their children to help them attend college.
For assistance with issues related to students experiencing homelessness accessing higher education, contact the NAEHCY Higher Education Helpline at 1 (855) 446-2673 (toll-free) or, or visit for more information.

WIN APP (Please see WIN App Poster below)

Our Children LA (OCLA) has launched WIN: What I Need, a mobile app (android, apple and web versions) focusing on the needs of homeless youth. The free app is available in the iTunes and Google Play app stores, and the web version is available on OCLA’s website. ( )

ITunes link:

Android link:

CCUSD provides homeless students (i.e. students in shelters and motels and those doubled-up because of economic necessity with a friend or another family—or those sleeping in cars or on the streets) with:

  • Bus passes to get to/from school
  • Breakfast and Lunch at school (through a referral from me or the Free & Reduced Food Application)
  • School Supplies
  • Backpacks for Kids
  • Clothing, Shoes, and Toiletries (appointment to visit Culver Closet)

Referrals for students/families in need (including homeless):

  • Mental Health Counseling (individual, group, and family)
  • Substance Abuse Counseling
  • Temporary Housing (i.e. Upward Bound House Shelter and/or St. Joseph’s Homeless Solutions Center in Venice)
  • Tutoring (one hour a week for those living in motels and shelters)
  • Medical, dental, vision and other health services
  • Local Food Bank
  • Victims of Domestic Violence
  • Enrollment Assistance in Covered CA

For Emergency Housing in Los Angeles County, parents with children 17 or under, should dial 211 to open a case.